Auntie Annie
Originally uploaded by lihchang.
One crazy tradition at the Cantonese Christmas party is that some poor soul has to dress up as Santa to distribute the Christmas exchange gifts, which in themselves were kind of crazy because they were often odd regifts that the parents wrapped up for us. Here's Auntie Annie's last Christmas and Tom, 2006's poor soul.
Last year Uncle Sandy and Nathan from the old Cantonese group passed away. Life continues on as Auntie Annie went to be with the Lord this weekend, ending her battle with stage 4 ovarian cancer.
The Kwok's were probably the closest family to our family out of the Cantonese gang. My parents were often the ones Auntie Annie would go to when talking about marriage or family issues. And we were in the infamous CAMS orchestra endeavor together. And at minimum, the Cantonese gang was the Lih's, Kwok's and maybe Tse's, Liu's or Huang's. I wrote my thoughts and memories of Auntie Annie to Uncle Robert, Amelia, Corinna and David a few months ago when a tumor was growing quickly in her abdomen. The email doesn't fully express the closeness of the Kwok's to others because I wanted to make it short and sweet for them. It sounds kind of weird to mention her shoe collection but it was a nice shoe collection and Corinna agreed, only lamenting that her mom's feet were only size 5/6 and that hers weren't. Or maybe I felt close because Corinna is one of two other people I know who still calls her parents "Mommy" and "Daddy".
When I think of characters from my childhood, I can't help but think if Tobey and Eli will have the same cherished characters in theirs. Will they have an auntie as vivacious as Auntie Annie? Will they have an uncle as crazy as Uncle Robert? Who will they giggle with when they see their parents laughing so hard when talking about their kids? Who will they beg "one more minute" with when we parents say it's time to go home? Who will they remember when they grow up as being memorable friends in their childhood?
You will be missed, Auntie Annie. There are few like you.
______________________________
Hi Uncle Robert, Amelia, Corinna, David:
I've been keeping up with how Auntie Annie is doing through my parents. I wanted to let you know that we've been thinking about her a lot and hope and pray for the best.
You all are an integral part of my childhood. I can't recall any Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Chinese New Year's memory without the Cantonese Gang (and what is the Cantonese Gang without the Kwok's?). Most notably, all the parents would be laughing at the dining room table and no matter where in the house we kids were playing, we could hear Auntie Annie's signature laugh rise above everyone else. Could anyone be having a better time than Auntie Annie when she is laughing? I knew that if we keep hearing the laughter, the party would last just a little longer.
Superficially, I always admired Auntie Annie's shoe collection! Always tasteful, classic, simple. It was fun to see the understated elegant style to go with her lively personality.
I also really liked talking to Auntie Annie, especially as I grew older and would come home for holidays. It was always fun to catch up with her, to start feeling like an adult because she'd always ask how I was or how school was going. I'd get free opinions or encouragement that comes from a neutral party. I know each person has many sides and I am privileged to know Auntie Annie as a "cool" auntie.
If you get the chance, I'd be honored if you shared these thoughts with her. I am so glad we got to see her this past Christmas (two pictures attached -- Tom was the lucky Santa this year). No Cantonese Gang party would be the same without her.
Love, thoughts and prayer,
Angela


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home