Tobey: Happy New Year!
We started off the new year (here in D.C.) with a bang. I was up until 3AM, but it wasn't because of any partying!
When the guests left my parents house after midnight, we heard Tobey crying. He was burning hot and registered a 104 degree fever (103 underarm). After a call to the on-call nurse back at our doctor's office, Tom and my dad went out to a 24 hour pharmacy that was opened New Year's Eve/Day (needless to say they were the only ones in the store) to get some children's Advil. The nurse said Tylenol was fine but Advil reduces faster and lasts 8 hours.
While they were gone, I played the role of comforter, both physical and emotional, I suppose. And while we waited at 1AM for the medicine, Tobey was watching Lady and the Tramp (Disney cartoon) on video (although he was perfectly happy watching the rest of Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve but I didn't want him watching kids dancing about as they were). It felt good to let indulge and pamper him a little, especially since he was sick and a bit miserable. He responded well to the medicine and slept from 2AM to 11AM. Tobey's temp was down this morning and besides a warm moment around dinner, it seems like his temp stayed down.
It was the highest fever he's gotten, ever. And of course it happened when all stores were closed (miraculously, one of the ones that was open was very close by). It was a little scary and I was a little at a loss as to what to do for him (I'm never sure whether to bundle him up when he has a cold or bring his temp down if he has a little fever, etc.). And I also thought, darn, Uncle Robert just left the party (our family ped and family friend). In a way, I was glad we were at my parents' house so my mom could give us a little advice while we waited for the nurse to call back. I guess this is one of those "parent" moments, when you stay up with your child out of love. It was late but we were still up from the party and therefore not quite tired yet.
Thankfully, Eli stayed asleep the whole time. That is the blessing of this big house (he's way on the other side of the house) and part of the reason why we chose to come here for our week off! It was nice to be able to give Tobey the undivided attention he needed. The downside is that Eli's schedule was totally normal and I had to get up with him at 8, after going to sleep at 3.
What a way to start 2006!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home